The fifth edition of the Continuous Personal & Career Development (CPCD) Program Speech Contest culminated with twelve contestants competing for the coveted title of ‘CPCD Speech Contest Champion’ during the final round on 17 November 2017. All twelve finalists were eagerly vying for a Top 3 spot that came with trophies and attractive prizes. A Challenge Trophy was also up for grabs, with the winner taking it back to the centre to be proudly displayed.
Adopting a ‘Back to School’ theme, the R.E.A.L International School (RIS) hall at Shah Alam Campus was filled with items that brought nostalgia and memories of school days come flooding back. The organizing team and several contestants even looked the part, coming dressed in school uniforms and the like. The finalists from the earlier-held preliminary rounds of their respective zones were:
- Noor Emilia binti Alias (R.E.A.L Kids Bukit Jelutong)
- Rohani binti Abdullah (E.A.L Kids Denai Alam)
- Cheah Ching Sim (R.E.A.L Kids Kemuning Greenhill)
- Shamalavathi A/P Radah Krishnan (E.A.L Kids USJ 12)
- Wong Jing Yee (R.E.A.L Kids USJ 2)
- Nurafiqah binti Rasidi (R.E.A.L Kids USJ 9)
- Charmaine Yap Lai Ying (R.E.A.L Kids Kampung Tunku)
- Lana Mosiun (R.E.A.L Kids TTDI)
- Nor Faizah binti Zainal Arifin (R.E.A.L Kids Putrajaya)
- Vijayaletchumy A/P N. Raju (R.E.A.L Kids Taman Cuepacs)
- Satiamuhila A/P Pospanathan (R.E.A.L Kids Wangsa Melawati)
- Chuhan Cheung Calvin (R.E.A.L Kids Puchong Jaya)
The above contestants (most of whom were first-time public speakers) rose to the occasion and delivered captivating speeches that thoroughly entertained the audience. The ample support and encouragement shown by their principals and colleagues also boosted the speakers’ morale as they gave it their all in a closely-fought but enjoyable contest. In the end, the panel of judges had the unenviable task of determining the Top 3 finishers and champion speaker. With the scores tabulated, the much-anticipated results were announced as follows:
- Champion – Noor Emilia binti Alias from R.E.A.L Kids Bukit Jelutong with her winning speech, ‘My Experience in Sudan and What It Has Taught Me’
- 1st Runner-Up – Nor Faizah binti Zainal Arifin from R.E.A.L Kids Putrajaya with ‘Lessons from 4 Year Olds’
- 2nd Runner-Up – Charmaine Yap Lai Ying from R.E.A.L Kids Kampung Tunku with ‘Creative Communications ’
As the curtains came down on yet another exciting edition of CPCD, every speaker went home as winners in their own right for having the courage, competence and confidence in taking the first step of ‘participating’. In the process, they not only brought pride to their respective centres but also benefitted in terms of their own development.
The CPCD Program is a public speaking program which uses the Toastmasters model to cultivate peer learning and growth for each individual who desires to develop themselves in their career and personal lives. Through the platform of speaking on topics related to the R.E.A.L Core Values (5Cs), Mission and Vision of R.E.A.L, Code of Honour, as well as those that are Inspirational and/or Motivational in nature; every staff would have the opportunity to learn from each other and continue to improve oneself.